Rediscovering the Renaissance pharmacy of Colditz Castle
In 1603, the dowager Electress Sophie of Brandenburg left the Saxon court at Dresden to move to her Witwensitz Colditz Castle. At Colditz, she had large parts of the former palace of Frederick the Wise (1517-1525) rebuilt. Sophie gave top priority to the construction of a new pharmacy. The records of the court’s financial administration describe this new pharmacy building in detail. Thus, we could show that the so-called “Beamtenhaus” (housing the Fluchtmuseum) is in fact Sophie’s pharmacy of 1603. The staircase of the new building connected the female living quarters with the newly established pleasure garden.